Part 22 of Wonders of World Aviation was published on Tuesday 2nd August 1938, price 7d.
This part included a central photogravure supplement further illustrating the article on Aviation in Sweden. The final section of the photogravure supplement illustrates aircraft of the Auxiliary Air Force. It illustrates the article on The Auxiliary Air Force.
The cover this week shows a balloon barrage at the RAF station at Cardington, Bedfordshire. In time of war the balloons would be far higher than they appear in the cover illustration.
THE PILOT’S CABIN on a Swedish Air Line’s Ju.52 Junkers aircraft. This machine, the Sodermanland, was one of a number brought into service in 1932. It seats fourteen passengers, and has three Pratt and Whitney Hornet engines, developing a total of 1,725 horse-power. The wings and fuselage of the machine are metal covered, the metal being corrugated to increase its strength.
The Auxilary Air Force:
AUXILIARY AIR FORCE MACHINES lined up on the aerodrome at Herndon. They are Hawker Harts of No. 601 Squadron of the AAF. This is the County of London Squadron, and was formerly a bomber squadron; it is now a fighter squadron. There are two other AAF units stationed at Hendon, the City of London and the County of Middlesex Squadrons.
Aviation in Sweden:
Photogravure Supplement - 2
A DUTCH BUILT AIR LINER used by Swedish Air Lines. It is of the American Douglas DC-3 type built by Fokkers under licence. Although a number of light aircraft, including seaplanes, are built in Sweden, no large air liners are constructed in the country; this is the reason for the use of foreign aircraft by Swedish Air Lines.