This week’s cover shows one of the gliders competing in the National Gliding Contests held at Dunstable, Bedfordshire, in July 1938. At these contests, on July 9-10, a world record for two-seater gliders was made by Flight Lieut. W. B. Murray and J. S. Sproule, who remained in the air for 22 hours 13 minutes 35 seconds.
Contents of Part 30
Pioneers of the Parachute (Part 2)
The French Air Force
Experiments with Ornithopters
Famous Flying Partnerships
Trainers of the RAF
The Avro Anson (colour plate)
The Avro Anson
THE AVRO ANSON is a twin-engined low-wing monoplane used for training pilots who are to go to bomber squadrons and who will fly other twin-engined Service aircraft. It is used also as a Service type for coastal reconnaissance work. Each of the Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah IX radial air-cooled engines develops 310 horse-power at 2,100 revolutions a minute at 6,000 feet. Each engine installation is entirely interdependent, with its own petrol and oil tanks. On top of the fuselage and behind the cabin is the rear gun position which is equipped with an Armstrong Whitworth totally-enclosed rotating gun turret. A Lewis gun is used in this position.
This colour plate previously appeared as the cover design to Part 16.